NEWSFLASH: Uber driver dies in hospital after June attack

An Uber driver who has attacked in Hatfield last month, has died in hospital.

Uber spokesperson Samantha Allenberg on Monday confirmed the driver’s death but could not confirm on which day he died.

“It is with a great sadness we confirm one of our driver partners passed away after a brutal attack in Pretoria on the weekend of 10 June,” said Allenberg.

“This incident is deeply upsetting to all of us at Uber. This driver partner is a part of our community. Our thoughts are with his family during this difficult time.”

ALSO READ: Uber driver critical, car set alight in Hatfield

The driver was attacked by unknown individuals before his car was set alight while inside.

According to reports, he was targeted due to the ongoing battle between Uber and meter taxi drivers.

Allenberg said Uber had a team of former law enforcement professionals who were working with the police to support their investigation.

“There is no excuse for these violent acts.”

“We know these actions do not represent the entire industry however, violence and intimidation against those who choose to use companies like Uber must stop.”

Allenberg said using violence and intimidation to limit consumer choice was unacceptable.

She said the organisation requested a meeting with the police minister Fikile Mbalula and minister of transport Joe Maswanganyi to resolve the situation.

“The security response teams we have hired will continue to provide additional security support around the stations.”

“We are doing everything we can but Uber is not a security company and so we need the help of law enforcement to resolve these issues as soon as possible.”

ALSO READ:Centurion Uber drivers threatened at Gautrain station

Police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubela said a case of attempted murder was changed to murder following the driver’s death.

“We are still investigating the case and we cannot confirm if it was related to Uber-meter taxi violence,” said Makhubela.

“No arrests have been made. We are urging anyone one who has information about the attack to come forward.”

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram.

  • We have exciting news! We’re offering a free alert to help you always be in the loop. Send an email with the word ‘Subscribe’ to breakingnews@rekord.co.za to receive your free daily breaking news update.

find your
dream home

looking for an
affordable
apartment

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News

COMMENTS

pta_moot ptaeast ptanorthgetit Autodealer.co.za
Top
Recommended Story x
NEWSFLASH: Rhino killed at Rietvlei nature reserve

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

SUBSCRIBE
to our free NEWSLETTER
!
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

Centurion Rekord
Rekord East
Rekord Moot
Rekord North


Your details:


Your friends:

I didn't sign up for this
I'd like to see and read more... (Please indicate in comments section below)
I'm relocating (Please indicate where to)
Other