UPDATE: Family of missing Centurion businessman begs kidnappers for mercy

Omar Carrim's burnt-out car. Photo: Centurion Concerned Citizens Facebook group

The family of the kidnapped Pretoria businessman has appealed to his kidnappers to urgently release for his scheduled heart surgery.

Centurion businessman Omar Carrim (72) disappeared last Thursday evening after leaving his business, Home Hyper City in Pretoria, and a day later his car, a new Mercedes-Benz E300, AMG, was found burnt out on the outskirts of the city.

ALSO READ: Hercules businessman kidnapped

His son Abdullah Carrim said on Women’s day that his father was expected at Zuid Afrikaanse hospital in Sunnyside, for open heart surgery to unblock his arteries the day after he was kidnapped.

“Our tata has a serious heart condition and is in urgent need of surgery as all his arteries are blocked. He was scheduled for surgery on Friday morning, the day after his kidnapping,” he said.

Earlier this week police confirmed that Carrim had been kidnapped.

Gauteng MEC for safety Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane said bones found near Carrim’s burnt out car had been sent for examination and results would be announced soon.

Carrim was nicknamed tata by his family, after former president Nelson Mandela.

Abdullah said: “The family is extremely distressed and concerned about the well being of our father. He is nicknamed tata because he strictly follows the principles of Mandela as his hero and role model.”

ALSO READ: ‘Quantum kidnap’ rumour dismissed

Abdullah said their tata gave a third of his salary and Home Hyper City’s profits to the poor monthly. “He always encouraged his family to do the same.”

He said the old man had called the family a few times, so they were aware he was still alive.

He said when they received the first call, the family was shocked to hear he was still alive without it.

“He called to instruct me to ‘get my heart medicine’. My response was: ‘I am surprised you are alive without your medicine. How can I get the medicine to you’?”

Abdullah said the call was abruptly disconnected before he could answer. “I can confirm I received another call from tata, which lasted a little longer and his first words, in a distressed and severely weakened voice, were: ‘I am dying, I can’t make it, pray for me’.”

Abdullah said if his father was not admitted to hospital soon, he would die.

ALSO READ: Kempton Park: Kidnapped boys rescued

“We appeal to the kidnappers, please send tata to the hospital. You have been with tata these few days, and you saw his gentleness, kindness and love,” said Abdullah.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram


Jason Milford

Latest News


Recommended Story x
INFOGRAPHIC: UPDATE: Help pray for our missing father – Laudium family