Armed robbery at new mall in Centurion

Photo: file

The new Centurion shopping centre, [email protected], saw its first armed robbery on Sunday evening.

Eyewitnesses said six to seven armed men stormed a grocery store and robbed it as well as some of its customers of cash, cellphones and jewellery.

The mall opened its doors to the public for the first time last week.

Police spokesperson Constable Tumisang Moloto confirmed the robbery.

Also read:  Armed robbery at NWJ in Forest Hill 

Moloto said men armed with firearms were seen entering the SuperSpar store and held customers and employees at gunpoint.

“An undisclosed amount of cash and cellphones were taken,” said Moloto.

He said no arrests were made, but police appealed to anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of the suspects to call 08600 10111 or SMS tip-off on the crime line number 32211.

A reliable source who cannot be named said the robbers were waiting outside the store in a car and targeted the shop just before it closed.

According to the source, the armed men also ran into a pizzeria where they fired two shots.

“Luckily no-one was injured,” said the source.

The [email protected] managing company Anaprop was contacted for comment, but did not reply at the time of print.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

  AUTHOR
Jason Milford

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Recommended Story x
Robbers hit MTN Centurion Mall again