Shock and anger in cricket ranks due to postponement of the Global T20 League

After Thabang Moroe, Cricket South Africa’s acting CEO, last week admitted that they will make a massive loss in excess of R340 million just to get the planned new Global T20 League going, the announcement came yesterday that the tournament will be postponed until next year.

“We have not come to this decision lightly,” commented Moroe at the announcement.

“Having discussed it with all our stakeholders including the franchise owners, we believe that the interest of the league should be our first priority. We have re-assessed our strategy and believe that postponing the first edition of the T20 Global League to next year will serve us well,” he said.

Moroe added that they will regroup and come back stronger and better.

“At this time, we also wish to thank all the players, sponsors, broadcast partners, SACA (South African Cricketers Association) and FICA (Federation of International Cricketers) who have committed to the project. We appreciate the continued support of the individuals and organizations who have believed in this tournament,” said Moroe in his brief statement.

He said the franchise owners are in support of the decision.

“Having discussed it with Mr. Moroe and Mr. Nenzani, we have arrived at a unanimous decision to defer the inaugural edition to next year. We believe it is in the best interest of the tournament to do so,” said Osman Osman, from the Pretoria Mavericks.

Since the announcement of the ambitious T20 Global League, it has been hampered by various logistical challenges. The biggest concern with cricket experts was that its financial viability was in doubt since the beginning, because no broadcasting deal has been signed while no official main sponsor could be found.

Meanwhile Cricket experts from a wide spectrum, as well as regular supporters, have reacted with shock and anger over the news that the Global T20 League will not start on November 3. Fingers are pointed at CSA’s for the poor handling of the matter.

At this stage, it seems that there will be repercussions and financial implications after the tournament has been postponed. The players auction for the tournament has already taken place and several international stars have apparently rejected other offers to be able to play in the tournament in South Africa.

Cricket South Africa will also have to adapt their program for the coming season as no other first-class action would have taken place locally during the six weeks in November and December when the Global T20 League would have been presented.

 

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram.

  AUTHOR
Rekord Pretoria

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
Blou Bulle klop Griekwas in opwindende tweestryd op Loftus Versfeld