VIDEO: Centurion sinkhole: Tshwane metro wants businesses to withdraw class action

The site was handed over to Gaborone who is the main contractor. Photo: Jason Milford

Centurion business-owners affected by the Jean Avenue sinkhole will continue their legal action against the Tshwane metro.

This is despite the metro saying work has already started on fixing the sinkhole.

“We have asked the complainants to withdraw their class action to prevent them from losing more money,” said mayoral spokesperson Sam Mgobozi on Thursday.

“If it so happens that the court rules against the class action, they’d lose more money.”

He also said that all agreements related to the sinkhole were signed by the metro and the main contractor, Gaborone.

“The site was handed over to Gaborone, who is currently active at the sinkhole.”

Last year, businesses located near the sinkhole launched a class action against the metro, which they accuse of dragging their feet when it comes to fixing the sinkhole.

ALSO READ: UPDATE: Repair work to finally start on Centurion sinkhole

Not only did the sinkhole – which made its appearance in May last year – result in traffic disruptions for residents, but it also led to nearby businesses losing customers as residents avoided the area. One business already had to close its doors, namely a nearby News Cafe restaurant.

Metro spokesperson Selby Bokaba said in a media interview that internal procedures may have delayed the process.

“Someone, somewhere internally may not have done what they were supposed to do,” he said. “We have to look into that. And if there’s an official found to have not acted with the urgency that was required, action will be taken against those individuals.”

Jacques Classen, the attorney representing the business-owners, said on Thursday that the metro had filed a notice of intention to oppose the action.

It has also come to light that the health and safety contract between the metro and the contractor was yet to be signed.

A reliable source confirmed to Rekord that if the paperwork was not in order, construction on repairing the sinkhole would not commence.

Despite an announcement on Monday by transport councillor Sheila-Lynn Senkubuge that “repair work was currently underway” residents reported observing no activity at the sinkhole.

 

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

 

  AUTHOR
Jason Milford

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top
Next Story x
UPDATE: Centurion sinkhole – progress at last

Thanks for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

Centurion Rekord
Rekord East
Rekord Moot
Rekord North


Get regular news updates sent directly to your inbox.

Your source of local breaking news and trending stories from across the country.

Be a part of our growing community

1MILFacebook Fans
98KTwitter Followers
5MILMonthly Readers
12MILArticles Published Every Month
72Local Community Websites
CLICK HERETo view an example of our newsletter

SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter

SELECT your titles:

Centurion Rekord
Rekord East
Rekord Moot
Rekord North

Get regular news updates sent directly to you inbox.

Your source of local breaking news and trending stories from across the country.

Be a part of our growing community

Subscribe Here
1MILFacebook Fans
98KTwitter Followers
5MILMonthly Readers
12MILArticles Published Every Month
72Local Community Websites
Your details:


Your friends: