Centurion residents have been urged to report dog poisonings to the police should they become victims.
The warning comes after a spate of poisonings were reported across the metro.
Lyttelton police spokesperson Captain Dave Miller said residents should check their yards before going to bed at night.
“The most common substance used at this time is known as ‘two step’,” said Miller.
ALSO READ: Seven dogs poisoned in Centurion
The small black granular substance is often placed on food like meat that is thrown into the resident’s yard, according to Miller.
“It is very important not to handle this substance with your bare hands as it can get into your system through bare skin,” said Miller.
“Always wear gloves and place the substance inside a plastic bag.”
Residents have been called on to report as much detail about dog poisonings as they possibly can.
“This includes when, where and how the incident occurred,” said Miller.
“It will go a long way to ensuring that the police know about these situations.”
Miller said dog poisoning kits were also available from the SCPA and veterinarians.
“It very important to take your dog to the vet immediately after you suspect it might have been poisoned.”
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: