There will be no further postponements in the culpable homicide case of a man accused in the hit-and-run death of a Centurion teenager, the Pretoria magistrate’s court said this week.
This as the case against Siphiwe Mahlaba (29) was postponed yet again to 6 February 2019 on Wednesday.
It was the second such postponement after the accused previously failed to appear as he had been out of the country “on business”.
Mahlaba is accused of the March 2017 hit-and-run death of Ruan Viljoen.
On Wednesday Mahlaba and his legal representative again asked for the case to be postponed as they requested further particulars of the docket.
Magistrate Thandi Thelede issued this final remand even though the prosecutor offered no objection to the postponement.
However, Thelede warned Mahlaba and his legal representation to “get their defence in order” given a late request for further particulars.
“On the next occasion if the defence is not ready to proceed an enquiry will be held,” said Thelede.
Such enquiry could cause substantial prejudice to the accused or his legal adviser.
“If the defence cannot proceed the court will have to force the defence to proceed or the accused to proceed without any legal representation,” said Thelede.
ALSO READ: UPDATE: Ruan’s life remembered by parents
Following Viljoen’s death in 2017 his parents hired a private investigator to help police investigate his death.
It was believed he died instantly after being struck by a vehicle while walking along the road.
Viljoen had apparently been involved in a minor accident earlier and was going to look for help on foot when he was struck.
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: